Today was a busy day. Although productive, I only saw the light of day for a brief moment. The majority of the day was spent in the KidMotion room planning for our 3-Week series, “3 Things I Love About Summer,” and our Summer series, “Off the Rails.” The kids are going to LOVE it and that makes the long hours worth it. Our preschool department is currently learning about the Life of Zacchaeus from the book of Luke. Our Discovery Rangers group also studied it tonight. So, I paid close attention to this great passage, figuring I could learn a good lesson too!
If you read the passage, you can infer that Zacchaeus probably lived a life being bullied. Granted, he was a cheat, a liar, and a tax collector, but we also know that he was known as the “wee little man.” Even today, we sing songs about Zacchaeus, the wee little man. I am sure that people made fun of him for his size and it didn’t help matters that he chose a profession that wasn’t liked. In my own opinion, he probably spent a majority of his life “up in a tree,” isolating himself from others, only to come down when he needed to collect.
But, then there was Jesus. He didn’t say, “Hey, wee little man, come down from that tree!” No, scripture says that Jesus calls him by his name, “Zacchaeus, come down from that tree. I am going to stay at your house today.” Not only did Jesus call him by name, but He also made a decision to hang out with him. Wow! I am sure this was an ENCOURAGING boost to Zacchaeus. Zacchaeus surely knew He Jesus was at this point and for Him to want to stay at his house…awesome opportunity. Because of Jesus’ encouragement, His influence, Zacchaeus changed his ways. Immediately, he paid back what he had stolen from others, as well as gave money to the poor. It is amazing what encouragement and acknowledgement will do for a person…it will change their life!
My 28 Thanks:
1. God knows my name.
2. I am encouraged by the Word of God.
3. I don’t have to isolate myself from others.
4. I can wak confidently, knowing who I am in Jesus.
5. Encouragement can change a person’s life.
6. People have encouraged me, even today.
7. Tonight, our car was not damaged in the 2nd hail storm of this month.
8. The Rangers and Girls loved the opening ceremony game tonight. They went crazy cheering.
9. The new Discovery Ranger structure went well. It was a night and day comparison.
10. All the kids made it safely home or to the choir room to wait out the storm.
11. Judah’s class had a surprise Mother’s Day tea today.
12. He made me a construction paper flower. It was beautiful.
13. Judah made a “My mommy is…” paper. In his opinion, I am 6 years old, weigh 8 lbs, and love to buy stuff.
14. Judah also made me a handprint card.
15. We recorded Week 1 of Off the Rails puppet sketches.
16. Maxton, Zach, Lorry Gail, and Aaron did Superb!
17. I ate healthy today even though I didn’t leave the church but for 30 minutes.
18. Alysha made Judah a brand new id badge today. It had his picture on it. He loved it!!!! This is a big deal in his little world.
19. Mrs. Lacey and Mrs. Corrie taught Judah about Zacchaeus tonight. Judah told me Zacchaeus climbed a tree to see Jesus. Thankful for these ladies.
20. Mrs. Debby and Ms. Michelle and Mr. Scott came and served tonight even though they were dealing with some pain in their bodies.
21. Faithful, committed people.
22. Mr. Greg checked out Rangers tonight. He even played our opening game. He will be a great asset to our Ranger team.
23. Gary helped me accomplish so much today. He hung banners, removed banners, finished games, made copies, cleaned up snacks, and on and on and on.
24. Judah had so much fun playing with his friends today.
25. Got a sweet, encouraging message from my friend, Jahni today on facebook.
26. Technology that lets you stay connected to people.
27. So So So thankful those girls in Ohio have ended their ten years of bondage. May justice be served to the fullest extent of the law.
28. Today is the due date of the first baby Gary and I lost this past September. I am thankful for the 6 weeks that I got to carry you. I will hold you in heaven.