“Wounds are a part of life. We’re all going to experience them whether we ask for them or not…No matter how hard we may try to avoid them, hurts happen; disappointments come; the Willows in our lives sometimes wallop us for no apparent reason; and circumstances aren’t always fair.” Pastor Debbie Morris writes this awesome truth in Chapter 5 of her book, The Blessed Woman.
But, the most important thing to know is that GOD IS FOUND IN EVERY WOUND.
Think about the story of Hagar, the servant of Sarah and Abraham. She had no rights, no free will, and no choice when it came to a decision as to whether or not she would get pregnant with Abraham’s child. Hagar was given an order by Sarah and she had to accept it. Then, Sarah turned on Hagar. In Genesis 16:5-6, we learn that Sarah treated her harshly. She probably received a beating, then Hagar ran away. Can you imagine how Hagar must have felt? She was pregnant, not married, alone, completely alone in the wilderness, far from family, hungry, scared of wild animals, and hot. Did I mention she was pregnant? Talk about wounds…and to top it all off…it was not Hagar’s fault. She did nothing wrong, but rather submitted to the demands of her owner. No, she did not ask to sleep with her ruler’s husband. No, she did not ask to have relations with a man she did not love. No, she did not ask to become pregnant.
I am sure the wounds cut deep in Hagar’s physical, spiritual, and emotional body. But, in the place of her wounds, God showed Himself to her. Genesis 16: 7-13 says, “…Behold, you are with child, and you shall bear a son. You shall call his name Ishmael because the LORD HAS HEARD your affliction. Then, she called the name of the Lord who spoke to her, YOU ARE THE GOD WHO SEES!”
Hagar, an egyptian servant girl, realized who God was in her life. From the lowest of positions in society, she became elevated and valued upon realizing who God is in her life. And, she had revelation that God, the one who created it all, Sees her every need and knows the very intimate parts of her heart.
My 28 Thanks:
1. God is the God who sees.
2. God is in the wounds.
3. God never wastes a hurt.
4. Only my God can take a hurt and turn it into growth, compassion, resilience, and a deeper hunger for Him.
5. Women in the Bible.
6. Even Sarah, a woman who helped blaze the path of Faith, made mistakes!!!!!!
7. No one, even the most Faithful to the Lord, are perfect!!!!
8. Debbie Morris’ book, The Blessed Woman.
9. Judah went to sleep early tonight and I was able to have some quiet time.
10. Pastor Marcia gave me permission to work away from the office this afternoon. I was able to write, finish plans, and make future plans without too many interruptions.
11. I don’t deserve God’s love, but He still loves me.
12. Lynn Steele is a precious woman. She over heard me talking about the “hunt” for a missing receipt. Without my asking, she found the company phone number, called them, and within minutes had them email me the lost invoice. She saved me so much time and energy. I am so thankful for her heart.
13. Leslie helped me out to today. She didn’t have to because it wasn’t her job, but she did it anyway. So sweet.
14. People who love financials and numbers and help me out.
15. The Father’s Day mailer looks awesome.
16. Danielle and Rony were so excited to tag team preach a message tonight.
17. Another team work lesson in staff chapel. Teamwork makes the dreamwork as long as you share a common purpose.
18. Marrell Sanders is hosting the game segment tomorrow night. He is so excited about kidz ministry. Love his energy.
19. Angela sounds so good. She is almost back to perfect. Ready for her to return to the office soon.
20. Gary and the Rescue Dive team with OCFD found one of the drowning victims today. They are still searching for 3 more.
21. English Degree. It comes in handy for all this writing. But, I am still not perfect:)
22. My friend, Valerie, is getting married soon. I received her adorable shower invitation this week. So excited to celebrate her.
23. Today is my husband’s last shift for a few days. It has been a really long tour for me. HA HA… I am so thankful that it is almost over.
24. Dance is such a beautiful form of art. Love the expression.
25. Toothpicks come in handy when you eat popcorn on a nightly basis.
26. Rootbeer. It is so good with popcorn.
27. Judah ran after me this morning when he realized I was leaving and he didn’t give me the best of his hugs.
28. God never wastes a hurt. That, my friends, needs to be “double thanked” tonight.