Winston Churchill once said, “We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.” Just think about it…David, in the Bible, became one of the greatest hymn writers of all times during moments of distress and sorrow. It is during trial and tribulation that we experience the greatest comforter of broken hearts this world will ever know, as well as moments of revelation, inspiration, and a will to survive.
As a Christian and a woman in church leadership, I have often felt guilty of feelings that seem to be opposed to my Faith. I sometimes put myself under pressure to always “be on”, to never have a moment when I am not okay, and to be immune from all struggles of this world. Christians aren’t supposed to have struggles, right? WRONG. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 states, “And He has said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness’…Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.”
Scripture reveals that it is in those moments of trial, of struggle, of distress, when Christ is made strong in us. Remember, the key is to feel the feelings, don’t deny them…just don’t follow them. Allow Him to be perfected in your weakness.
My 28 thanks:
1. Mighty men and women of God who have positions of leadership.
2. Quotes that speak to the very core of your soul.
3. Words that heal.
4. David’s time spent in the caves…he wrote some great Psalms down there:)
5. Jesus is perfected in my weakness. When I am weak, He is strong.
6. My in-laws let Judah ride to church with them on Sunday morning. Gary and I had kid free setup time.
7. Gary happens to be an amazing puppeteer and saved our service in a pinch.
8. If my husband is assigned a task, he makes sure it is done well.
9. Our KidMotion praise and worship has gone to a new level of excellence.
10. Debbie, Gary, Dale, Deborah, and our kidcrew put in so much effort to make it excellent.
11. Our small group application turned out really well.
12. The kids came up with great examples of putting others first.
13. Sande and Michelle help me so much when it comes to camp sign ups.
14. Sande is always a bright smile every morning. I don’t think she ever has a bad morning.
15. Holly always greets me with a smile too.
16. I have a great check-in team. Ava is an amazing leader who makes our ministry look good as a first impression for families.
17. I love the new excitement in the air for our Off the Rails series.
18. Jacob, a boy in KidMotion, loves our puppet sketches. He is even giving Lorry Gail some writing inspiration.
19. I love when kids get involved in service.
20. We had a productive, short, and fun kids camp parent meeting.
21. The leaders I am taking to camp are going to be so much fun. I may have to watch them a little closer than my kids. Ha Ha.
22. Love is an action and I can actually get better at loving everyday.
23. Had a fun time catching up with some old friends at Valerie’s wedding shower.
24. So excited for my friend Valerie. I can’t wait to see her walk down the aisle in July.
25. Marriage is a beautiful union. Thankful for mine!
26. David Barton spoke in both our services. I am excited to watch them online.
27. Our praise team is practiced and ready for kids camp.
28. Job, Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King, Jr., David, Charles Spurgeon, and Abraham Lincoln are just a few dynamic, God-fearing, God-serving, God-loving leaders who made an unmistakable mark on histroy, and had struggles with various things. Their experiences are great examples of GOING THROUGH with the Lord.