Steven Furtick, Lead Pastor of Elevation Church, is one of the best communicators today. I receive his blog daily through my email and yesterday’s message really spoke to me. So, I wanted to share it here as well.
“A common phrase you often hear from people is, “I don’t do details.” Usually they mean they’re more big picture people. They don’t like to get bogged down in minutiae.
In His own way, God doesn’t do details either. At least when it comes to His commands to people in the Bible. In fact, He can often be painfully vague.
He told Abraham simply, “Go to the land I will show you.”
When He beckoned Peter to walk on the water, He simply said, “Come.”
On His command Moses to free the Israelites from the most powerful nation in the world, He merely commanded him, “Go, I am sending you to Pharaoh.”
God didn’t use any detail. He didn’t lay out a step-by-step plan. He just issued the command and expected obedience.
Sometimes people wanted more detail. Moses wanted to know how it was going to happen. What should he tell the people? But God didn’t fill in much detail here either.
I will be with you.
Tell them, I AM has sent me to you.
On the one hand, you would think God was kind of winging it. On the surface, it would seem that His plan was just to deal with the details as they came about. And that’s not very reassuring. Not when you’re being asked to step out on faith.
On the other hand, when you read on in the stories, God had every detail covered. Abraham’s journey. The plagues. The Red Sea. Even Peter’s ability to walk on water. And that’s very reassuring.
God is extremely meticulous. He is all about the details. Far more than you’ll ever be. He has everything already figured out. Every pitfall and possibility accounted for. Every detour arranged to get you to your final destination.
So God definitely does the details in terms of His plan and working it out.
But God doesn’t do the details in terms of what He communicates to you.
That’s because He knows there are some details you’re simply not ready for.
And ultimately it’s because He’s more interested in your full obedience than your full understanding.
Don’t worry. God has every detail in your life covered.
He just doesn’t need you to know them first to follow Him faithfully.”
My 28 Thanks:
1. Quiet Mornings.
2. Even though He doesn’t always share them with me, God has every detail of my life covered.
3. I strive to be obedient.
4. I love obedience.
5. Details. I love them.
6. Gary and I had a great morning taking care of our house.
7. I love to clean. I may not be much of a cook, but I love to make things clean and tidy.
8. Gary likes things clean too.
9. We had an awesome, peaceful walk around the neighborhood.
10. We got to visit with some of our sweet neighbors.
11. Judah had a blast playing with his cousins.
12. He was happy to see us.
13. Laci and Eric took great care of our little boy. I have so many amazing family members. I am truly blessed.
14. All the laundry is done. Well, for now.
15. The weather was fantastic. We enjoyed being outside most of the day!
16. We got Chinese food for dinner. The owners of China Delight are precious and they make amazing Chinese Food.
17. We got a new plant at Lowe’s. And, all plants were 25% off. Discounts are always a welcomed surprise.
18. My hands were in the dirt a lot today. I love doing yard work. I find it to be cathartic.
19. Our neighborhood is safe and Judah can play on our quiet street.
20. Gary is reading a book and he loves it. I enjoy sharing the same reading material with Gary. Then, we have even more to discuss.
21. Tomorrow, I am telling kids how to be world changers. I have the coolest job.
23. Sonic ice. Whoever created the ice machine that turns frozen water into tiny pellets is my friend.
24. Late night car rides and funny conversations.
25. Family prayer time.
26. Great works and moves of God are happening around the US and the World. It is an honor to be a part.
27. Gary and I had two days of family time and relaxation. These times are rare for us because of our interesting work schedules, so when they happen…we treasure them!
28. God is good.