Isaiah 9:6 states, “For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given; and the government will be upon His shoulders. And His name shall be called, Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace.”
I love this scripture out of the book of Isaiah. God’s perfect plan to save mankind was foretold years before the perfect plan came to earth. Isaiah uses repetition to make it clear that God’s perfect plan of salvation is coming in the most unlikely, lowest of forms…a child. The most helpless, dependent, and needy of mankind is a child. But, Jesus had to come as a child so He could fully live a life that would allow Him to identify with mankind.
Then, we are told that a Son is given. In order to be saved, we need Immanuel, God with us. Jesus was both fully man (a child) and fully God (a Son). From the beginning of time, He was God’s perfect plan of salvation for mankind. Because of this, I love that Isaiah, being guided by the Holy Spirit, writes His first name as WONDERFUL.
When I think about things that are defined as wonderful, my mind immediately goes to the “Seven Wonders of the World.” These are remarkable, fascinating sights that cause many to travel far and wide to see. They are objects of amazement and spectacular sights to see.
What a spectacular sight the manger in a stable in the little town of Bethlehem must have been for the shepherds who left their post in the field on that Glorious night to behold the King of WONDER wrapped in swaddling cloth. I love the fact that God revealed the Good News of His Son’s delivery to the lowest of people. Shepherds weren’t necessarily high-class, but God chose them as one of the first to hear His wonderful news. Why? I think God knew the Shepherds would have room for Jesus in their schedules. I think God knew that the shepherds would hurry to see Jesus and worship Him. I think God knew that the Shepherds would spread the good news of our Savior’s birth.
When Isaiah lists the name of Jesus, he doesn’t state His actual name, but rather gives a list of words that describe His character. These words, Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, and Prince of Peace, describe who He is and what He has come to do for us.
You can never get bored with God. He is an amazement, an awe-inspiring, WONDERFUL God. The more I know Him, the more I realize there is more to know. He fills my heart and mind with amazement and awe. When I think about who He is and what He has done, I stand in awe of Him. The fact that God sent His son from a Throne in Heaven to a Manger in a stable, then wrapped Him in swaddling cloths (what shepherds used to wrap the spotless, perfect, sacrificial lamb) blows my mind with amazement. I am sure it blew the wise minds of the wise men too. This wonder is why they followed the star to find Him. This wonder is why the shepherds dropped everything and ran to see Him. This wonder is why King Herod order for all babies under the age of 2 years old to be put to death. This wonder is why a star moved in the sky and stayed over the place where He laid.
He is Wonderful to me. I love Him with all that I am.
My 27 Thanks:
1. Electricity. When you lose it, you realize how much you love it and need it.
3. A gas fireplace for warmth.
4. Gary and I got ready super quick. It’s amazing how much you lounge around when you have modern convenience. But, take away electricity and heat and you get ready really quickly.
5. Judah thought it was awesome to use a flashlight to move around the house and get ready.
6. Kidz Ministry was filled with warmth and smiling faces. Leaders spent time handing out gifts of love and appreciation to one another.
7. So many people gave me beautiful gifts and cards that expressed their appreciation.
8. Chairs. We removed the chairs from the KidMotion room, so we could have great space for our snowball fight. It is amazing how much organization and order chairs bring to the room. I sure do love those chairs.
9. We have a “new to us” sound board. You can hear out of both sides of the speakers.
10. Robert made a video with a few of the kids as Elves. They loved it and laughed a lot.
11. Our snowball fight was awesome. The kids loved it.
12. The nursery leaders all blessed Starla with a gift. She was so blessed and excited. I love seeing other people blessed.
13. Angela Lewis has such a heart of giving and compassion and bringing people together. She is a born leader. I am so glad she is on my team.
14. My friend, Michelle, is always filling in and helping others out. I am super excited for her Christmas week. She is going to fill her home with lots of family. It will be crowded, but oh so good for her.
15. We were able to tear down and clean up the KidMotion room after a very messy Sunday and still get out of the church by 1:30. It sure is nice to have help. It goes so much faster.
16. Kayla came to church early and helped us make two heaping igloo loads of hot chocolate. The kids loved the yummy chocolate and marshmallow treat.
17. Our power was back on by the time we got home from church. Judah was so excited that he went around the house and turned on every light saying, “Look, Mommy, this light works too!”
18. Every one showed up on time to get ready for the preschool performance.
19. The preschoolers were so excited to sing their two songs in front of the church. They looked so cute in their sheep, cow, and angel costumes.
20. Kids bring people together.
21. The Candlelight Communion service was beautiful. It was executed well too. I love Pastor’s dramatic reading of the Christmas Story.
22. Pastor Tami told Judah that it was only 3 more sleeps until Christmas. When putting Judah to bed, he said, “Pastor Mami said it was only 3 more beeps until Mismas time! I am so excited!”
23. Gary and I got to serve families in communion tonight. We love serving together. I had Gary do the talking for communion with one family. He made me laugh so hard. He was trying to remember the specifics of the script, but it wasn’t quite working well for him. So, Gary says, “When we eat the bread, it is like eating Jesus’ flesh. Okay, let’s eat His flesh.” Oh my…I totally had a “silence of the lambs” moment. It was too funny though.
24. We can laugh about our mishaps.
25. Judah went to bed early. So, Gary was able to put together one of his Christmas presents.
26. Gary is my best friend. There is no one else with whom I would rather spend my time.
27. Only 3 more beeps until Mismas time.