Jesus calms the storm…I love this passage of scripture from Luke 8:22-25. It shows that Jesus is right in the middle of our storm with us.
22 One day Jesus said to his disciples, “Let’s cross to the other side of the lake.” So they got into a boat and started out. 23 As they sailed across, Jesus settled down for a nap. But soon a fierce storm came down on the lake. The boat was filling with water, and they were in real danger.
24 The disciples went and woke him up, shouting, “Master, Master, we’re going to drown!”
When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and the raging waves. Suddenly the storm stopped and all was calm. 25 Then he asked them, “Where is your faith?”
The disciples were terrified and amazed. “Who is this man?” they asked each other. “When he gives a command, even the wind and waves obey him!”
First, I find it interesting that Jesus said, “Let’s cross to the other side of the Lake.” Before the trip even began, Jesus told the Disciples where they were going. He didn’t say, “Hey, let’s try to get across. Hopefully, we won’t drown.” He told them assuredly, “Let’s cross!” Even in the scariest of circumstances, if you will fix your heart and mind on the Word of the Lord, you will get through it and you will survive.
Secondly, Jesus reminds me of my mother a little bit in this passage. Think about it…Jesus was asleep on a boat while a BIG storm was going on outside. Obviously, He was traveling with expert fishermen who were aware of the sudden and violent storms that would brew on the Sea of Galilee. But, Jesus slept unaware. He didn’t wake until His disciples went and woke Him up! Moms are similar. They can sleep through all kinds of noises and sounds, but at the faintest cry of their child, they awake fully alert and ready to respond.
Thirdly, Jesus rebuked the wind and the waves. When it was calm, He didn’t address the storm, but rather He addressed the disciples and asked them, “Where is your faith?” The violent storm didn’t bother Him, but the lack of faith from His disciples did. Wow! Our faith or lack thereof moves Jesus.
Finally, whether we find Him to be “alert” and “awake” in the midst of our storm, He is there. He brings both His presence and His purpose in the midst of some of the scariest times in our lives.
Friday, April 4
My 27 Thanks:
1. Jesus is present in the middle of our storms.
2. Jesus gives both His presence and His purpose through our storms.
3. Jesus knows the cries of the His kids voice.
4. He promises that we will “get to the other side.”
5. Judah and I had a restful morning.
6. He spent most of the morning curled up in my lap.
7. We had so much fun outside together. We shot basketball hoops and I watched him ride his bike.
8. Judah helped me plant my flowers. We make a great team. He is going to have a “green thumb” like his mommy and daddy too.
9. Judah told me he had a secret for me. So, he pulled my ear close to his mouth and whispered, “Mommy, I love you.”
10. I received lots of random kisses from my sweet boy today.
11. The weather was absolutely beautiful.
12. Gary finished his Haz Mat course and passed the test!
13. Gary is off the entire weekend with us.
14. When he got home from the training center, he helped us plant the rest of our flowers and two fruit trees.
15. I got all of our laundry caught up today!
16. I had the opportunity to bless a family with dinner tonight. I am so thankful for my mother-in-laws yummy green enchilada casserole. It makes a great dish for families.
17. Gary delivered it for me.
18. Oklahoma has the prettiest sky.
19. Tonight’s sunset was breath-taking.
20. My neighbor was released from the hospital today.
21. The only time I have ever had to do an overnight hospital stay was when I delivered Judah. I am thankful for our great medical care, but I am even more thankful that I don’t have to use it often.
22. The lack of faith from the disciples provide great lessons for all of us. I hope I can learn from their bloopers.
23. I found out that the people who bought the house next to us are a young couple with little kids. I am so excited that more kids are moving into our cul-de-sac.
24. I am so thankful for the stories of life-change and triumph that other people share. Stories are so inspirational.
25. Gary and I had a late night dinner of eggs and toast. Gary made it for me!
26. My home is such a peaceful place.
27. Supernatural peace.